Saturday, June 20, 2009

Bob Wooten: NASA is worth the tax funds

Bob Wooten
Northern Virginia Daily
nvdaily.com

The black-and-white images were grainy -- in fact, downright lousy -- and the sound quality wasn't much better.

For a 12-year-old kid, though, the TV broadcast on July 20, 1969, was the stuff of dreams.

Sitting in the living room, watching Neil Armstrong take that famed first step on the moon's surface, I wondered when I'd get my chance to suit up for a mission.

True confession: As a youngster, I was a space program junkie. Whenever possible, I was in front of the TV for mission launches, live broadcasts from space and splashdowns in the ocean. One summer, during a vacation in Florida, my parents treated me to a side trip to the Kennedy Space Center for the nickel tour NASA offers to tourists.

I wouldn't have traded it for a trip to Disney World.

Read the article HERE.